Image Credit – https://thesouthernladycooks.com/sourdough-cinnamon-muffins/
My ultimate goal is to get you to be able to make sourdough bread. It’s delicious, nutritious and can be simple when you follow the right recipe and perhaps have a video to guide you. Stay tuned for just that, later in 2023.
The benefits of sourdough are numerous.
- Pre-biotic: the fiber in the bread helps “feed” the good bacteria in your intestines
- Contains many vitamins & minerals
- Contains anti-oxidants
- Contains lower levels of phytates than other breads allowing your body to actually absorb the nutrients more easily than traditional breads
When I first tried making sourdough bread I quickly became very overwhelmed and gave up. Thanks to a friend, I now know how to make it and it’s part of my weekly routine and one of my favorite things to make and share with neighbors, friends or bring to hosted dinners.
I will help you simplify sourdough bread and make it a part of your home as well in the future. For now, here are some great warm-up recipes that will start to incorporate sourdough into your life.
Sourdough Cinnamon Muffins
You will need a sourdough starter for this (and all sourdough recipes). You can easily obtain one by going on a local fermented foods chat group on social media.
Ingredients: Use organic ingredients when possible
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbs high quality butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dairy free milk (I use coconut or almond)
- 1 pasture raised organic egg
- 1 cup sourdough starter*
- 12 Muffin tin liners
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in large bowl. Melt butter and cool to room temp. Whisk egg, then add in melted butter, brown sugar, white sugar, vanilla extract & milk. Mix well.
- Place liners into a 12 cup muffin tin
- Fill liners half full
- Optional: mix 1 Tbs of cinnamon with 1 Tbs of sugar. Sprinkle mixture on top of muffins before cooking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes
- Cool & Enjoy!